Windows Feature Suggestions

Welcome to the Windows Feature Suggestion Box!

Windows Feature Suggestion Box provides the Windows PC/Tablet user community with a channel for feedback. To help us build the best version of Windows ever, we created this forum to hear your ideas, suggestions and feedback.

• If there are features or design changes you hope to see in the next version of Windows, submit them right here!
  • In order to understand which features people MOST want, you get to vote on the feature suggestions that are already here. We have set the number of votes you have available on your favorite suggestions to 20. Vote for your favorite features now!

What this forum is not intended to cover:

To see our work in progress, please go ahead and install Windows 10 Technical Preview. You can join the conversation about Technical Preview and swap advice with others at Technical Preview Forums, or Become an Insider to get the latest preview builds and an easy-to-use built-in feedback app.

Standard Disclaimer

Our lawyers made us put this here ;-) Please note that the Windows Feature Suggestion Box is moderated and is a voluntary participation-based project. If your submission is not a product feature suggestion it may be removed. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft. Your submission is subject to these License Terms. Please limit your suggestions to 25 words or less.

Please enter your feature suggestion....

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. We need better Knowledge base articles for Windows 10 update releases

Recently a spokesman told the IT press (see http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/21/microsoft_will_explain_only_significant_windows_10_updates/) that "As we have done in the past, we post KB articles relevant to most updates which we’ll deliver with Windows as a service. Depending on the significance of the update and if it is bringing new functionality to Windows customers, we may choose to do additional promotion of new features as we deploy them".

To many a sys admin the current communication levels in the knowledge base articles that document the contents of the cumulative Windows 10 updates are not complete enough and we cannot determine if a released…

1,584 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      67 comments  ·  Windows Update  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Windows 10 File Explorer - What I'd Like Microsoft to Do With It

http://fav.me/d93y6td

I tried my best to stay consistent with the design that Microsoft has designed in Windows 10 - a simple sidebar, bottom-bar/status bar, large spacing to accommodate mouse/keyboard and touch, etc.

After quite a bit of sketching, thinking, and inspiration, I came up with some ideas and decided to put the design to the test - how would it actually look rather than just drawings and notes on a piece of paper? I think it turned out pretty good.

Something I've noticed that is the toughest problem to solve is that placement and layout of the Ribbon menu. I've…

3,003 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        41 comments  ·  Files, Folders and Online Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Login Screen theme setting in the Settings App

we should have login screen theme setting in the Settings App like we have currently for the lock screen, so we can chose any wallpaper we want, and please make the wallpaper change = system wide change, I mean we should see the wallpaper we chose in any situation like:
        Restart.
        Log off.
        Shut Down.
        Ctrl+Alt+Del.
        or whatever the case maybe...
        you guys already did this "system wide change" to the Lock Screen in Windows 10 build 10158+, witch is so great and was very requested feature since Windows 8:
        http://www.bing.com/search?q=how+to+change+the+default+lock+screen+on+windows+8&go=Submit+Query&qs=ds&form=QBLH

witch is should done to Windows 8 since the…

5,077 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          20 comments  ·  Personalization and Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • give us the ability to customize Start Screen pinned Desktop Apps with multiple images and Animations.

I mean choosing multiple images for the pinned Desktop Apps and make them Animate so they look more cohesive and on par with Store Apps instead of one static image.
          I had this idea when I visited this game website, please take a look to know what I mean:
          http://www.bundlestars.com/ (hover the mouse on the Tiles to make them animate)
          I also submitted this on Feedback App, just search for:
          give us the ability to customize Start Screen pinned Desktop Apps with multiple images and Animations
          thanks in advance and keep up the great work!

836 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  Personalization and Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • please give us DreamScene back!

give us DreamScene back and don't dim the desktop (when we chose Tablet mode) and don't dim the start screen (applies to both Tablet mode and full screen start menu) when we apply a video wallpaper so we can see it clearly with all its vivid colors on both the desktop and the start screen.
            I also submitted this on Feedback App, just search for:
            give us DreamScene back and don't dim the desktop

687 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Personalization and Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Extra large Size for Tiles

Dear Windows Team, please add "Extra large Size" option for the Start Screen Tiles.
              the advances you made to the Windows 10 Start Screen are ALL Awesome! from the new Vertical scrolling to the new Tiles grid layout to the new "Tablet mode". and I believe the new Tablet mode can act like a "TV mode" too, BUT it's just missing one thing...an Extra large Size for the Start Screen Tiles. if you guys made this Size it will make Windows 10 reach even more devices, not just Tablets. and you'll make millions of users happy with this move too,…

8,821 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                61 comments  ·  Improved Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Taskbar Hiding Options for Tablet Mode and Desktop Mode

Please add separate taskbar hiding options for tablet mode and desktop mode. Personally I like the taskbar in desktop mode but find it to just a waste space in tablet mode. I would like to be able to configure this behavior separately for different use cases on my devices.

7,828 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  62 comments  ·  Desktop and Start  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • sync start menus between various windows 10 devices

A recent article on windowcentral quoted a Microsoft representative stating that the syncing of the start screen and installed app features in windows 8.1 will not be carried over to windows 10. I personally loved this feature and do not know why it is being removed when it has ALWAYS been OPTIONAL in the OneDrive sync settings. It allowed me to move between my desktop and surface seamlessly. Now i will have to install apps on each device and reconfigure the layout on the start screen each time which can be very time consuming.Please think twice about removing these features.

1,386 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    34 comments  ·  Desktop and Start  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Awesome New interaction in action centre: "Quick" quick settings

Ok so this is my idea about action centre.. Imagine to have in action centre the brightness quick setting to change quickly the level of brightness among auto, low, medium and high.. Ok this is my idea.. Show action centre, keep pushing on brightness and then will appear a new sub menu where you can select quickly the level you want and soon under there is the bar to regulate the maximum brightness for the level selected.. So you can do this without going in all settings.. This concept could be used even for mobile data quick setting: With one…

535 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      3 comments  ·  Input and Interaction Methods  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Clear Glass (No Color) Transparency

Microsoft did a great job by giving us the amazing Black Glass Transparency, now we are hoping for the "Clear Glass (No Color) Transparency"
                      please Microsoft, make it the way you made the black glass (only with a blur effect) but without the old and ugly Stripes effect.
                      example of what I mean:
                      http://i.imgur.com/6mQHMm6.jpg
                      thanks in advance.

6,490 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        22 comments  ·  Personalization and Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Offer an optional upgrade path from Windows RT to Windows 10 Mobile

Following today's rumors, that Windows RT won't include Universal App support, let Windows RT users opt-in to upgrade their Surface RT/2 tablets to Windows 10 Mobile. Even if that means we will lose some functionality, like multiuser or full Office, I think many users would gladly choose to trade off those features to have universal apps, prolonging the life of their devices.

1,043 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          36 comments  ·  Install, Upgrade and Activate  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Bring Back the "Expand Start Menu Full Screen" Button!

The new "expand" button was a gift to Windows insiders who asked for a fluid way to switch between start menu and start screen. Many Windows users, myself included, used this button daily, to enter full screen mode and vice versa. The "enter/exit full screen" option has become so popular that over 6,000 Windows insiders so far have asked Microsoft to bring this option to every title bar in Windows 10:

https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-windows-feature-suggestions/suggestions/7069950-unify-the-title-bar-in-windows-10-give-every-wind

Unfortunately, the button has gone missing as of Build 10122. Now if the user wants to switch between start menu and start screen, the user must go into…

6,668 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            134 comments  ·  Improved Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Add a method to disable the handwriting panel

I can see the UI logic behind making the touch keyboard smartly select between keyboard and handwriting panel depending how has it been accessed (finger = touch keyboard, pen = handwriting panel), but there should be an option to disable the handwriting panel completely or to configure the behaviour.

Many users will absolutely never use the handwriting panel for several reasons (dont want to write, cannot train it to their style, etc...) and it is a serious annoyance to be forced into an undesired interaction every single time and then having to switch back to the appropiate keyboard manually.

464 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              51 comments  ·  Input and Interaction Methods  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Blur the user's wallpaper for the login screen, instead of forcing the default one.

As of build 10162, the login screen has the default wallpaper applied to it, regardless of the user's desktop wallpaper. It would look better if the user's wallpaper was blurred behind the login screen.

For example, this mockup:

http://i.imgur.com/tThvF6m.png

955 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                21 comments  ·  Personalization and Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • 4,823 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  31 comments  ·  Files, Folders and Online Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Windows Phone 8.1 Tiles Animation for Windows 10 Start Screen

this video says it all:
                                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXJp8UdIkUI

please, at least as an option, we should have many tiles animations to choose from.

3,521 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    15 comments  ·  Personalization and Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • [Concept] New file explorer, like this

Like this: http://i.imgur.com/jrgiK2U.png
                                    Thumb here: http://i.imgur.com/LDZV7u5.png

In the same spirit as the old file explorer (ribbon, panel ect ..) but with the freshness of windows app..

Plz vote and share if you like it

574 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      3 comments  ·  Files, Folders and Online Storage  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Consistent design for apps

Weather (basis): http://i.imgur.com/T8bbSZF.png

Store: http://i.imgur.com/AEvU9MG.png

Groove: http://i.imgur.com/snwDyKk.png

Youtube client: http://i.imgur.com/dpYRQaD.png

Icon title: http://i.imgur.com/xiXDl5H.png

Three-dots options: http://i.imgur.com/FQoRLC1.png

Why? W10 apps still loses on a big point: an inconsistent design. Their own standard apps do not keep a pattern even when it comes to menus. Some have the 'back button' on the top bar, while others have it in the new action bar; some have 'search' into the hamburger menu, while others have outside. Not to mention colors, hovers, and the way each one acts with the three-dots button.

Further, now let's talk about hovers and cascading menus. As well as in…

243 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Improved Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Make Windows Spotlight avaliable to Windows 10 Pro users

Make Windows Spotlight avaliable to Windows 10 Pro users.

It does not make sense to block a feature from users that pay more.

356 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Personalization and Ease of Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Ability to pin apps/programs to left side of start

Bringing back the option to pin programs to the left side of the start menu like Windows 7, and should be an option alongside the most used that is currently the only option. Many users will want to use this alongside or even instead of the tiles section of the start menu

207 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 485 486
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base